Sunday, March 1, 2009

Does anyone else eat their bagels & cream cheese with cucumber? Just me? Maybe I'm just trying my best to duplicate the best bagel of all time. I love this bagel - the tasty turkey on asiago - but I think I love it even more when I am pregnant. They had these delicious stores when we lived in Houston, and when I was newly pregnant with B I made Dave drive twenty minutes across the city so I could get eat one of those heavenly sandwiches.


Speaking of bagel shops, have I mentioned that this area has (maybe) one bagel shop? (It's not even a legit bagel shop - it's a coffee place that happens to serve two different kinds of bagels.) What is a girl from the NW supposed to do? Eat at a doughnut shop? I've tried that once or twice and it doesn't come close to a great bagel sandwich. (B, on the other hand, thought he had died and gone to heaven.)
All right, I'm done moaning about bagels that don't exsist where I live.
And to all you Vancouver-ites - No, I have not forgotten about Sunrise Bagels. No other bagel will ever compare to the quality of that place.
(I'm just glad that we will be spending our summer in a city large enough that will have more bagel options for me.)

10 comments:

Rebecca J said...

Yes! Tasty Turkey is my favorite bagel sandwich from Einstein, too. So weird that Lubbock doesn't have one. I thought that Einstein was a staple restaurant of any college town. Dangit, now I want one...

Mary said...

I used to work at an Einstein Bagels. It was a bit of a problem! Oh how could I eat one or three or five of those delicious bagels right now!

McArthur Family said...

Sunrise Bagels...I loved that place! I'm with ya on a good bagel shop; we need one here too!

Katie said...

Hi - just wanted to let you know that we read your blog sometimes :) I'm Katie, my husband is Brian - we've met twice I believe, once in TX and once in CA when you and Dave picked Brian and I up from the airport for Chris and Robyn's wedding. Well, just wanted to say Hi - congrats on everything!

S. Fantasia said...

Great. Now I want a bagel sandwich. :o)

Oh yum.

Sarah said...

Okay, so this might sound gross and not what your getting at at all, but last month I made "pickles" by putting cucumbers in some vinegar and oil and sugar. We had some extra cream cheese and a really good roll, so I covered the roll in cream cheese and put the pickled cucumbers on top. Oh sooooo Good. Matt thought I was crazy when I told him what I had done.

Doesn't your grocery store bakery make okay bagels (or any kind of bagels)?

Jody said...

Chels, I love the 3 cheese bagel (warmed) with fresh tomato slicesat Sunrise. Man, I could eat LOTS of those at once.

Maybe I could buy a dozen or so of the tasty turkey ones at Einsteins, freeze them and send it to you.......?

Unknown said...

OHHHH Sunrise/ Be still my heart. The best was in Chicago and Cali, The Corner Bakery. Oh my. I can't believe you don't have einstein!! I happen to love the dutch apple, not healthy at all though.

Kat Curtis said...

You're making me so sad - that's my favorite sandwich too. On asiago. It brings back good memories, but it makes me really want one. Thanks a lot!! :P (just kidding)

Rebecca said...

I'm salivating. But is it still sunrise bagels? I thought is was seize your bagel or something. I haven't been there in FOREVER-but I now I am going tomorrow to see if I can get that sandwich.