Friday, June 20, 2008

I've decided I don't like doing post titles anymore. They're too hard to think up, and I'm just not a very creative person lately. Okay, ever.
I don't have any pictures for this post since our home computer (I'm on Dave's laptop now) decided to quit on us. It won't even turn on. And that's where all our pictures are. Great, huh? Dave assures me we can save the pictures, and that's all I'm really attached to about that computer, so I'll take his word for it.
Anyhow, on to the reason for this post: Bentley just got done being sick, and it has been rough. I'd like to preface this with quick story: On Sunday I was bragging to someone at church how Bentley has never puked or had horrible diarrea in all his sixteen months. He woke up on Monday with a raging fever, and was shaking as he drank his milk. It was so sad. He's had a fever before, (once) so I wasn't too worried and gave him some Ibeprofen and he went back to sleep for two hours. He got up, still with a little fever, but I decided to try to run to Wal Mart to get some much needed groceries. Luckily he made it thru the shopping trip without throwing up. He waited until I had pulled out of the parking lot and was at a red light when I heard a strange noise, but I didn't even have to turn around to know he had puked. In the carseat. And had to sit in it until we got home, ten minutes later. After we got home and he took a nap, he was running around, eating, playing - the norm. All clear, I thought. A 24 hour bug. SO wrong. For the next three nights, he woke up between 1am and 3am with a bad fever. It's such a hard thing to watch your baby/toddler writhing in pain as a fever racks their body, knowing you can't do anything besides give them medicine & cool them down with a cool shower or bath. I think I got less sleep than he did the whole time. This was my life from Monday morning to Thursday. At some point I was wondering how long a fever lasts until you need to take them to the hospital, but then I remembered some people have stories about their children that are way worse than mine. (Okay, it's Stephanie. She always gets the extreme cases. In everything, I'm not kidding.) Didn't Dean have an up & down temp for seven days or something? I don't know why I'm surprised, I mean, look who his mom is. :)
I don't even know if anyone is reading this anymore - I will totally understand if I lost some people a while ago in all my rambling about my only child.
Being a parent is hard sometimes. But so worth it in the end! (And the fact that he is still sleeping in until 10am. It gets earlier each morning, but I am soaking it up while it lasts!)

10 comments:

Jody said...

I'm sorry. Yes, it's torture to have to watch your child be sick. I always makes me grateful for the times we live in. Could you imagine being a pioneer and going thru that? But I'm glad he's feeling better.

Durrett Family Band said...

I'm so sorry. It sucks to watch your child be sick. Charlie and I both got a stomach flu bug while we were in DC. I had it for five days and then felt better for one day before he got it for five days. That ate up almost all of our time in DC :(

S. Fantasia said...

Oh yikes! Last I spoke with you, you thought he was over it. Boy were you WAY wrong! I hope he's better now and I especially hope you don't get it.

And, about Dean, it was 14 days (two weeks exactly) and it was the adeno virus. He is still being researched in an infectious disease study panel because it attacked him so badly (usually just causes cold-like and low fever symptoms in most kids). Dean's fever was 103 at its lowest and 107 at its highest THE WHOLE 2 WEEKS - scary. We've learned since then that he just gets really high fevers when he's sick. His average-illness temp is 105.

Little punk (totally gets it from his mom). :o)

Heather said...

Sorry about Bentley, I hope you all felt better after getting the shirt I sent.

If you don't get any comments then you may need to worry that no one is reading your posts.

Titles are nice, and they don't even have to be creative: "sick" would have worked just fun.

We love you Chelsea! You are an awesome mom.

Agnes said...

Your poor little guy :( It really is hard to have sick kids. I hope he's feeling lots better now.

Anjanette said...

Just want to give you all a shout out and let you know that I had a burger from TK's in Huntington today and I thought of you both.

~James

S. Fantasia said...

Hey you! I wanted to tell you that there is a new customize option on blogger now and it is my favorite thing ever! I used to waste so much time randomly clicking each blog to see who has updated and now it will tell me. If you look on my blog, you will see that my blog contact list has time references below each - that time is how long ago they last posted. It only works for public blogs, not websites and not private blogs. And YAY! It works for Pioneer Woman! Thought you'd want to know. I'm all about saving time. :o)

Now, go put more pictures on your blog so you'll be at the top of my recent-update list ... and no more of this JUST TEXT stuff. C'mon now. Oh, and I expect a uniquely fabulous title as well. LOL

The Crockett's said...

PS if you don't title your posts it doesn't show that you updated your blog. Come on Chels, be creative.

jmholloway said...

I cannot tell you how much it meant to my mom that you and your sweet family came by. Thank you! Bently is absolutely adorable.

Mindi :)

S. Fantasia said...

I need something new from you... my memories of what you look like are starting to fade because there are no pictures in this post. :o)


P.S. I know you were upset about Claire in NM (or was it MN) winning Pioneer Woman giveaway. Ticked. I don't even want to talk about it.